STUDY CENTRE COURSES

SELF-STUDY TIPS

A
However difficult you find it to arrange your time, it will pay off in the long run if you set aside a certain part of the day for studying - and stick to it. It is best to make a weekly allocation of your time, making sure that you have enough left for recreational activities or simply to be 'with' yourself: reading a novel or watching a television programme.

B
As part of your weekly schedule, it is also advisable to consider exactly what you have to do in that week, and make sure that you tackle the most significant tasks first, leaving the easier or less urgent areas of your work until later.

C
On a physical level, make sure that you have an area or space for studying. Don't do it just anywhere. If you always study in the same place, preferably a room of your own, you will find it easier to adjust mentally to the activity when you enter that area. You should have everything that you might need at hand.

D
Make sure that all the physical equipment that you use, such as a desk, chair etc. is at a good height for you. If you use a personal computer, there are plenty of guidelines available from the government on posture, angles, lighting and the like. Consult these and avoid the typical student aches and pains.

E
If you are doing a long essay or research paper which

involves the use of library books or other articles, it helps to keep details of the titles and authors on small cards in a card box. It is also a good idea to log these alphabetically so that you can find them easily - rather like keeping telephone numbers. It's all too easy to read something and then forget where it came from.

F
Make use of equipment that is available to you. If you find a useful article in the library, it is best to make a copy of the relevant pages before you leave. Then, when you get back to your study, you can mark the article and make any comments that you have in the margin.

G
If you are working on a topic your teacher has set, but finding it hard to concentrate, it may be that you actually need to take your mind right off it for a period of time. 'Airing the mind' can work wonders sometimes. After a period away from the task, having not thought about it at all, you may return to it refreshed and full of ideas.

H
Similarly, it may help to discuss a topic with other people, especially if you feel that you have insufficient ideas, or too many disorganised ideas. Bring your topic up in conversations at meal times or with other students and see what they have to say. You don't want to copy their ideas but listening to what they think about something may well help you develop or refine your own thoughts.

Questions 22-27

STUDY CENTRE COURSES

A
From Paragraph to Essay
Of particular relevance to students who wish to improve their organisational skills and who feel that their final product is never clear enough.
Thursday 10-12
Kiran Singh
B
Communicate by Mail
Owing to the popularity of last term's course, this is a repeat. Requests for information, notification of personal details and enclosures will be looked at. Please note that this is not a business course.
Friday 2-4
Cella Rice
C
Source Material
How do you gather information for a project or paper? A practical course which looks at sources of information and how to use cataloguing systems.
Monday 10-11
Kiran Singh
D
Express Yourself
An advanced course suitable for students who are about to step into organisations where they may have to voice their opinions in various forums.
Monday 12-2
Dave Parrin
E
Media Use
Open to all students, this course focuses on the many ways we can profit linguistically from the radio and television. Use of video essential. Group projects form part of course.
Tuesday 9-11
Steve Ansell
F
The Short Story
A venture into the world of popular writers. One story is selected for adaptation into a short play and group performance. Pre-arranged groups welcome.
Thursday 11-1.30
Mrs Owen
G
Caught for Speeding
Open to all students. Simple eye exercises to help you skim and scan. How to be selective on the page. Using headings, topic sentences and paragraphs for easy access.
Wednesday 11-1
Mrs Owen
H
Quote Me if You Must
The do's and don'ts of using source material. How to incorporate it into your own work in an acceptable way. How not to plagiarise other people's articles, books etc.
Tuesday 9-10.30
Dr Johnson
I
The Job for Me

Finding it, applying for it and getting it. Where can it all go wrong? Written and oral course with simulation exercises using authentic newspaper advertisements.
Friday 10-11.30
Fabbeh AI-Hussein
J
Can I Help You?

Practical course for students who wish to improve their telephone skills. Breaks the ice for newcomers. No written skills required.
Wednesday 3-5
Mike Vas
K
The Customer is Always Right

An interesting angle - how do you reply to letters from customers? What tone is best and when? How do you achieve results?
Wednesday 11-1
Cella Rice
L
Tense about Tenses

For those who worry about their individual words - a look at tenses and other aspects of the language through poetry and song. Good voice helps but not essential!
Saturday 10-12
Steve Ansell

Questions 1-7

Reading Passage 2 has eight paragraphs, A-H.

Choose the correct heading for paragraphs B-H from the list of headings below..

Write the correct number i-xii, in boxes 1-7 on your answer sheet.

List of Headings
i Consult your teacher
ii Take a break
iii Make a timetable
iv Create a working space
v Sit comfortably
vi Study at home
vii Talk about your work
viii Photocopy important material
ix Catalogue references
x Use the library
xi Prioritise your work
xii Exercise regularly

Example Paragraph A Answer iii
1 Paragraph B
2 Paragraph C
3 Paragraph D
4 Paragraph E
5 Paragraph F
6 Paragraph G
7 Paragraph H

Questions 8-13

Look at the twelve descriptions of courses, A-L, on Reading Passage 2.

For which description are the following statements true?

Write the correct letter, A-L, in boxes 8-13 on your answer sheet.

8 This course would be useful for dealing with letters of complaint.
9 This course will help you use the libraries.
10 This course will improve your performance at interviews.
11 This course will help you with acknowledging your sources.
12 This course will help you improve your reading skills.
13 This course will help you improve your grammar.

---End of the Test---

Please Submit to view your score, solution and explanations.

Submit

Found a mistake? Let us know!

Question Pallete